Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Eye On the Prize

Over the past week I have been thinking a lot about our topic (consumer literacy) and product placement in particular, as I watch TV and movies.  In J201, we once discussed in lecture how influential figures in the media consuming products often makes the product appear more desirable.  And would have to say that I agree.
For example, I was watching an episode of HBO's "Entourage" when some of the main characters were partaking in consuming and selling Avion Tequila.  I was at a Mexican restaurant one night when one of my friends ordered a shot of Avion and I asked him why he chose the drink.  He said, "oh I saw it on Entourage and wanted to give it try".
I would say I have to agree with the whole notion that when people know they are seeing an advertisement, they automatically shut off and tune it out.  People consuming media seem to be very vulnerable to advertisements when they are not directly being told to consume, but showed.  I feel as though product placement in TV and movies is one of the best forms of advertising. And if you keep your eyes open, you start to see it everywhere.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you that advertisements are everywhere! The most well-known example of product placement is the Reese's Pieces in ET - sales of this candy went up exponentially after the movie premiered. Nearly everything you see on TV is sponsored by some company or another. Companies pay BIG money to include their products into movies and shows because of the amount of sales they receive in return. Great article! Really interesting stuff :)

    ReplyDelete