Monday, March 5, 2012

Blackboard Advertising in Classrooms: Success or Bust?

Since we started this blog, I've been thinking a lot about how people choose when and where to advertise. On a college campus, options are much more limited than in the corporate world since most of us students have no money. For this reason, a lot of student orgs seeking new members, volunteers, or employees, advertise on black boards in classrooms and lecture halls. Everyday in my small Hebrew classroom in Van Hise, I see the same sign on the top corner of the blackboard. The sign reads:


Part time work
Great pay
Great experience - $15 base pay / appt
Flex schedule / scholarships available
Call us @ ####### 
www.website.com


This sign is blunt, boring, and extremely vague. Anyone interested would have to seek further information on their own.

I glance at this sign whenever I am bored in class, so roughly every 12 minutes I am reminded that someone on campus is looking for work. Despite the fact that I look at this sign enough times to have the website listed memorize and I am in desperate need of some extra cash, I have never once visited the website listed. So, I can't help but wonder whether or not classroom advertisers are successful.

In theory, I think advertising in classrooms across campus is resourceful and effective. It has no monetary cost and takes very little time to do so. Furthermore, classrooms get some of the most traffic on campus. Classes run for as long as 13 hours a day and can hold up to 400 students per 50 minute increment.

In order to find out if classroom advertisers are successful, I am going to conduct an experiment. Beginning tomorrow (Monday, March 5) I will write the URL to this website on the blackboard of two separate classes for four days straight. One room, is a 300 student lecture hall located in Birge where students tend to use laptops. The other room is an 18 desk language classroom in Van Hise where I assume most students take notes by hand. At the end of the week, I will see how many views our blog got coming from typing in the URL, not through a search engine, and compare those numbers to last week.

Let me know if you think this will work and if you think students pay attention to those pesky notes written across boards in classrooms on campus!


1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete